“How many loaves do you have? Go and see.” Mk. 6:38 (Read Mk.6:30-44)
I’ve hosted a houseful of people on short notice, but never faced the insurmountable task of feeding 5,000! In Mark chapter 6 are practical principles of hospitality (and service of any kind) that beat any helpful hints found on HG TV or elsewhere:
1. Assess the need. (Mk. 6:34, 35)
2. Resist focusing on insufficiencies. (Mk. 6:36, 37)
3. Gather your resources. (Mk. 6:38)
4. Solicit the help of others. (Mk. 6:41b)
5. Make the unmanageable manageable. (Mk. 6:39,40)
6. With thankfulness, ask God to bless and multiply. (Mk.6:41)
7. Count on Him to more than meet the need. (Mk. 6:42, 43)
We can trust the Lord to abundantly meet our needs-whether it be food, strength or love as we serve others. He’s the Ultimate in hospitality- truly a heavenly Host.
P.S. Twelve cynical apostles gather how many baskets of leftovers? What is Jesus demonstrating to them-and to us?